Regarding the academics comment, check this out:
http://www.google.com/trends?q=matlab%2C+python&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

Matlab related dips notably (~50% peak to trough) during spring, winter, and
summer breaks.

All I really have to say about MATLAB is for a piece of software backed by
millions of dollars of development, its pretty notably deficient.  Deficient
by design actually, I mean why include image processing routines, when you
could charge more for that in a toolbox?  There is nothing in there that you
couldn't develop in < 1000 hours of competent developer time, using standard
numerical recipes.

I didn't mean to start a flame war here, just wanted to present some
observations.
--Matthew Goodman

Check Out My Website: http://craneium.net
Find me on LinkedIn: http://tinyurl.com/d6wlch