On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 3:40 PM, David Kirkby <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
> On 18 February 2011 19:36, Matt Goodman <meawo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Regarding the academics comment, check this out:
>> http://www.google.com/trends?q=matlab%2C+python&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
>>
>> Matlab related dips notably (~50% peak to trough) during spring, winter, and
>> summer breaks.
>
> I can see the noticeable dips/troughs you see. As you say, you don't
> see them with Python.
>
> But I tried a few other terms. Like "statistics"
>
> http://www.google.com/trends?q=statistics&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
>
> clearly statistics are used a lot in industry, but again there are
> patterns which repeat annually.
>
>> All I really have to say about MATLAB is for a piece of software backed by
>> millions of dollars of development, its pretty notably deficient.  Deficient
>> by design actually, I mean why include image processing routines, when you
>> could charge more for that in a toolbox?
>
> But Mathworks primary aim is to make as much money as possible. If
> they feel that making image processing tools an optional item will
> maximise their profits, then they will do it.
>> There is nothing in there that you
>> couldn't develop in < 1000 hours of competent developer time, using standard
>> numerical recipes.
>
> But at say $100/hour to include developer time and overheads, that
> would have cost you $100,000 to build. I don't know what the toolbox
> costs, but it will be a lot less than that.
>
>> I didn't mean to start a flame war here, just wanted to present some
>> observations.
>
> They are useful observations, but my observations from industry is
> that MATLAB is used a lot. It clearly tends to be taught a lot too.
>
> It's interesting if you put "python" into Google trends, the
> popularity of the search term is slowly decreasing
>
> http://www.google.com/trends?q=python&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
>
> As is MATLAB
>
> http://www.google.com/trends?q=matlab&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
>
> and Mathematica
>
> http://www.google.com/trends?q=mathematica&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
>
> Mathematica has shown the largest fall, with less than half the
> searches as in 2004
>
> http://www.google.com/trends?q=mathematica&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

Note that these graphs are relative measures, so nearly every
technical term is on the decline due to the increase of more
mainstream topics. For example, I don't think computers have become
less popular this last decade:

http://www.google.com/trends?q=computer&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

- Robert