Hi Florent,

On 2 Mrz., 14:33, Florent Hivert <florent.hiv...@univ-rouen.fr> wrote:
> Wouldn't be better to raise an error ? Note that I can also write:
>
>     sage: cos([]) = []

The preparser does
  sage: preparse("parent([]) = []")
  '__tmp__=var("[]"); parent = symbolic_expression([]).function([])'

I find it a bit strange that var(...) accepts input that is not an
alpha-numeric string.

For what reason is var(s) not raising an error if not s.isalnum()?

And: Why is var(...) accepting arguments that are not strings, and
transforms them into a string by means of repr(...)?
By consequence, we have
  sage: var(singular)
  Singular
and
 sage: var(QQ)
 (Rational, Field)
 sage: var(QQ['t'])
 (Univariate, Polynomial, Ring, in, t, over, Rational, Field)

I think var(QQ['t']) not resulting in an error but returning eight
variables is shocking.

Cheers,
Simon