Hi Burcin and all,

On 2 Mrz., 17:36, Burcin Erocal <bur...@erocal.org> wrote:
> People might want to use utf-8 strings which won't be valid under that
> condition. See #7496:
>
> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/7496

I was reading in the Python docs of the re module that the meaning of
\w depends on the locale settings. So, I expected that "it just works"
with
   re.match("(?!\d)\w*\Z", variable_name, re.LOCALE|re.UNICODE)

It matches anything that is formed by letters, digits and underscores
but does not start with a digit. I thought that the re.LOCALE would
make the regular expression accept that a German umlaut is a letter,
but apparently it doesn't, even after using
  sage: import locale
  sage: locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, 'de_DE')

What is needed to do in order to "localize" a regular expression?

Cheers,
Simon