On Apr 6, 7:19 pm, "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
> There seems to be a growing body of opinion that Clang
>
> http://clang.llvm.org/
>
> will replace gcc as the compiler of choice for open-source projects - not just
> on OS X.
I've heard this too.

> I also noticed that Xcode is no longer free, though it only costs $4.99.
You can still download Xcode 3 with a free account or install it from
the OS X installation disks... for now.  We (the open source community
in general) should be concerned that in the near future, the only way
to get compilers for mac might no longer be free.  AFAICT all other
sources of gcc for mac rely on Apple's gcc already being installed.
For many people, this would make Sage no longer free - it would
effectively cost $5 and none of that money goes to Sage.