On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 5:53 AM, Simon King <simon.k...@uni-jena.de> wrote:
> Hi Jeroen,
>
> On 19 Sep., 12:23, Jeroen Demeyer <jdeme...@cage.ugent.be> wrote:
>> I only found sage/categories/finite_dimensional_algebras_with_basis.py
>> which is just a category with essentially no code.
>
> Well, that's for the *category* of such algebras. Hence, it does of
> course not contain an implementation of the algebras themselves.
>
> Perhaps sage.algebras.free_algebra_quotient contains what you are
> looking for. I never worked with it, but if I remember correctly, it
> essentially boils down to providing multiplication matrices.

Technically it should.    That code was written by David Kohel in 2005
-- one of the first contributions to Sage -- so don't be surprised if
it is crufty.

Writing a fast general finite-dimensional algebras arithmetic class
sounds like a good project to me.    Doing it in Sage (over wrapping
GAP) has the advantage that it would work over any base ring.

What functionality does the Magma version provide?

William

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics