On Sep 20, 6:08 pm, Nils Bruin <nbr...@sfu.ca> wrote:
> It's actually just as big a problem as the third example you give:

Oh, haha, yes it is.

>http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/7496
>should partly deal with the nasty bits of this problem.

Great!

> The assumption that var(("a","b","c")) or var (["a","b","c"]) or
> var("a","b","c") should be equivalent to
> var("a");var("b");var("c")
> is not corroborated by the documentation...

That's absolutely true.  My assumption was based more what felt
pythonic.  I assumed that ``var`` *did* actually want multiple
arguments (the names of the variables 'a', 'b', and 'c') and that 'a,
b, c' was just a convenient way of passing them.  I'm happy using
``tuple(var(v) for v in ('a', 'b', 'c'))`` in the future.

> [note, by the way that top-level "var" has the nasty side-effect of
> inserting bindings in globals(). As soon as you're using "var" in
> programmatic contexts it's probably safer to stick with SR.var(...) ]

Thanks for the tip, and thanks for answering so fast.