On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 09:11:57AM -0700, Tom Boothby wrote:
> I capitulate on the hidden file idea, in favor of putting 'em in
> ~/.sage/ though one might note that we're exchanging one hidden file
> for another ;)

i agree. prefixing a dot is not quite a solution as i thought yesterday.

putting them in ~/.sage would require some pathname mangling or hashing,
that wouln't make it easier to list/find them than a prefixed filename
(be it with a dot or not).

if I got it right, caching the preparser output is for debugging or for
performance (correct me if im wrong). if it is for debugging, it would
be perfectly safe to hide it from the user, if it is for performance, it
would make more sense to put it into /tmp or /dev/shm.

it seems different users have different views on this, so what about
having environment variables to fine-tune? what i'm thinking of is
something like, SAGE_{CACHE_PREFIX,CACHE_SUFFIX, CACHE_PATH}. CACHE_PATH
set to "." then caches FILE.sage into
$(CACHE_PREFIX)FILE$(CACHE_PREFIX), otherwise into
$CACHE_PATH/mangled_name($PWD/FILE). also, all three set to empty could
disable caching at all.

with something like that running, it should be easy to agree on default
settings.

regards
felix

PS: this is all optional, i'm totally happy with caching as it is works
right now.