Hi again!

On Sep 21, 8:24 am, Simon King <simon.k...@uni-jena.de> wrote:
>> sage: tord = TermOrder(matrix([3,2,4,1,1,0,1,0,0]))
>> sage: S.<t>=PolynomialRing(QQ)
>> sage: R.<x,y,z> = PolynomialRing(S,'x',3,order=tord)
>> sage: (x^2).degree()
>> 2
>
> I think that's a bug.

What about this?

sage: tord = TermOrder(matrix([3,2,4,1,1,0,1,0,0]))
sage: R.<x,y,z> = PolynomialRing(QQ,'x',3,order=tord)
sage: (x^2).degree(x)
2
sage: (x^2).degrees()
(2, 0, 0)
sage: (x^2).degree()
6

Is all of this desirable behavior? The docstrings use identical
language for all three ("maximal degree in ...x", "maximal degree in
each variable", "maximum degree of any monomial") but have different
output.

I'm sorry if I seem ignorant or easily confused, but a number of
algebra texts define "degree" in the way Kwankyu and I understand it.
What you refer to as "degree", they all call "weighted degree" (if
they describe it at all!). This behavior will surprise most people,
but if it should be maintained for generality (and I think you have a
good argument there) then the current docstring needs clarification.

john