Hi Simon,

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 03:11:42 -0700 (PDT)
Simon King <simon.k...@uni-jena.de> wrote:

> On 27 Okt., 11:39, Martin Albrecht <martinralbre...@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Thursday 27 October 2011, Simon King wrote:
> > > Is that something to worry about?
> >
> > Yes!
>
> Good. I created trac ticket #11957.
>
> > Hence my guess:
> > we are using different memory allocation functions for GMP and
> > these functions might be slower (for Singular's use case)?
>
> Isn't Singular using a fairly uncommon memory management? If I
> remember correctly what Hans presented at the last Singular Sage Days
> in Kaiserslautern, their memory management is a lot faster for what
> Singular needs.

Singular uses omalloc for memory management. This library was developed
by Olaf Bachmann specifically for Singular's use case. This blog post
has some slides about it:

http://singular-team.blogspot.com/2011/09/sicsa2011.html

I don't think we can use omalloc in Sage since it is not thread safe.
Using GMP with two different memory allocators is not an option either.
So I am not sure if this problem can be solved easily.

On the other hand, any help to make omalloc thread safe would be much
appreciated. :) Interested parties should contact
libsingular-devel@googlegroups.

Cheers,
Burcin