On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 10:41 AM, kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes, I think it's a good idea to stop spending time etc on Cygwin port.
>> It is a huge PITA to use it in its present state (having spent quite a bit
>> of time on it last year) ,
>
> True, though it's frustrating to have to count that all as a sunk
> cost :(

I know.   I assure you, I've "wasted" even more time on Sage + Windows
than you.

> What about Emil's LiveCD and bootable partition thingie solutions as
> well?  Certainly the one-click version is a possible solution as well,
> if it's robust.

I have never "believed" in the viability of live CD's for much beyond
demos, sysadmin work, and hacking into computers when you have
hardware access. I don't think live CD's are in any way a viable
solution for Sage on Windows.      It just doesn't make sense at all
for "daily users" -- do you really expect them to drop everything
(stop checking Facebook, their email, stop using their favorite
editors, etc.) to reboot into Linux *just* to run Sage?  Sure, that
would be great for a workshop, but for daily use it is completely and
totally ludicrous.   So I applaud and appreciate the work to create
LiveCD's, and I see them as potentially very valuable for workshops
and certain other applications, but they are definitely no strategy
for adoption of Sage on Windows.

William