On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 10:48 AM, Volker Braun <vbraun.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had looked at coLinux before settling on VirtualBox. Since coLinux
> also needs a low-level driver I don't see any compelling advantage for
> our use. It is harder to install than VirtualBox and

I  have the impression that you didn't seriously use coLinux.   It's a
port of the Linux kernel to run as a native Windows application.  It's
different than virtual machines like VirtualBox or VMware.

There might be compelling advantages:

   * direct access to the native Windows filesystem -- no weird stuff
with networking or VM shared folders needed.

   * networking is different in some good ways (and some confusing ways).

Being a genuine application has its advantages.

> you can't run X on top of it right now.

This http://www.andlinux.org/ is a specific install of colinux that
some people put together for their company use, and give away free.
It includes X.   So maybe the situation is more complicated.

We used to have a Sage distribution based on andLinux, but the guy
working on it died.

> VirtualBox will be slightly slower in the execution,

I found the opposite in practice.   I did benchmarks when we had made
available both 32-bit VMware and coLinux versions of Sage on Windows.
In fact, to my surprise, coLinux was significantly slower for raw
computation than VMware.    I remember it being about 60-70% the speed
of VMware running Linux with Sage installed.  I don't know why.
Because of VTX extensions, VMware and VirtualBox are amazingly fast
for raw CPU-bound computation.

> but its less error prone imho.

This is probably true.  VirtualBox is massively more widely used.
When we used to distribute a coLinux version of Sage (in 2006), I
remember watching many Windows laptops crash hard due to their
low-level driver.   But that was 5 years ago, and things may have
changed by now.

 -- William