On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 8:35 PM, Volker Braun <vbraun.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, January 9, 2012 11:13:27 PM UTC-5, William wrote:
>>
>> 2) One can use much more RAM with 64-bit.  Many computers these days
>> have 8GB RAM (e.g., even my laptop).
>
> Or 16GB in my laptop ;-)  Though its really only sensible to use ~50% for
> the VM, which brings us back to the 4GB limit on a 8GB machine.

Of course, memory is just one of the advantages.  That said, I do most
of my work on my laptop under Linux using VirtualBox, and I set the
limit to "5719MB", which is in the green still (in the VirtualBox
GUI).

> The 64-bit virtual machine should then also come with more ram & cpus
> configured, and require hardware virtualisation. In other words, be only
> suitable for a modern computer.

+1   It's what I would use if I had to use Windows.

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics