On 2012-01-14 23:03, Jason Grout wrote:
> On 1/14/12 3:58 PM, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:
>> It allows running ./sage -i<package.spkg>  and ./sage -sh right after
>> downloading a source tarball, making for easier debugging of the Sage
>> build process.
>
> I'm curious: what does this mean?
It means the following will not happen anymore:
$ ./sage -i package.spkg
You must compile Sage first using 'make' in the Sage root directory.
(If you have already compiled Sage, you must set the SAGE_ROOT variable
in the file './sage').

Instead, "./sage -i" will work the same way as it works now *after*
building Sage.  The patch does not change the functionality of "sage
-i", it just allows it to be run from the beginning.
For example, we needed to test the
> new sagenb spkg in a clean install (i.e., without installing the old
> sagenb spkg).  Would we be able to do that with this option above?
I don't think so, as "sage -i" doesn't install dependencies.  The
recommended way to do what you want is to replace the sagenb.spkg in
spkg/standard *before* building.