On 14 Mrz., 20:43, Jeroen Demeyer <jdeme...@cage.ugent.be> wrote:
> On 2012-03-14 19:20, Keshav Kini wrote:> If we switch to git, as I understand
> we eventually will, patches
> > (commits) made from an older dev release will be considered to "not
> > apply" (not be mergeable) a lot more often than merely the cases when
> > other people have meanwhile touched the same files - in fact, *always* -
> > unless we make development releases based on their predecessors.
>
> If this is true, then I don't want to switch to git.

(... scatches his head ...)
If this was true, how could Torvalds and coworkers possibly use "git"
as a (distributed!) version control system tool for developing the
Linux kernel?

To my understanding they have "lieutenants" responsible for different
areas maintaining their own kernel tree each, and Linus Torvalds then
pulls in the requested changes from each one. Or not. Or maybe later,
partly, etc.pp. This must be a highly non-linear process! And git was
*designed and created* (by Linus Torvalds himself!) to support this as
easily and smoothly as possible.

Keshav, might there be some misunderstanding on your side?

Please do not hesitate to continue to ask questions, I'll try to
answer them. But please be aware that I left university over a decade
ago and am working since then in the software business in projects
that are at least an order of magnitude bigger than Sage, daily using
tools like cvs (which is quickly fading out), subversion, Perforce,
git. So I might have grown quite some blind spots :-)
Honestly, it didn't occur to me that you could believe the above (from
which it seems quite a good part of your motivation comes to open this
thread), until you wrote it explicitly down ...

Cheers,
Georg