Hi,

On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 19:16:55 -0800 (PST)
Jean-Pierre Flori <jpfl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> IIRC there was some work about this done (but not merged?).
> No time to search myself now, but searching trac and the pynac-devel
> list should give some hints, or contacting Burcin and or Florent
> Hivert.

Thanks for pointing this out Jean-Pierre. Here is the ticket:

I don't remember if the patch attached to the ticket is the most recent
one. This might be better:

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/burcin/indexed_expression_20111118.patch

IIRC, the main outstanding issue was how to handle the conversion of
these to maxima. At some point I promised to write a function that does
some name mangling before the maxima calls, but never got to it.

Perhaps libmaxima can handle these without this hack anyway. In any
case, we need to revisit the code that converts symbols to maxima and
back because of #13655. So this might get solved on the way.

> On Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:25:24 AM UTC-6, Michael Orlitzky
> wrote:
> >
> > On 11/06/2012 10:51 PM, Andrey Novoseltsev wrote:

> > > I would never think that a[None] would return a, whatever a is!
> > > I'd expect something "empty"...
> >
> > I've just removed the parent symbol entirely (and cleaned up the
> > code a bit). Now only the list notation works.
> >
> > If a(1) returned 'a1', it was not preposterous to have a() return
> > 'a'. But a[] is a syntax error, so to hell with it =)

How do these interact with existing symbolic expressions in arithmetic
or function application?

Cheers,
Burcin