On Thursday, May 29, 2014 7:26:35 PM UTC+1, Simon King wrote:

> Before switching to git, we had the policy (enforced by commit hooks, if
> I recall correctly) that the commit message mentions the ticket number.

No, that was Jeroen manually (ok, with a script) telling you
days/weeks/months later that the commit message is wrong and needs to be
fixed.

code: How can I easily find that discussion?

Pretty easy, I would say: "git trac find <sha1>". We can add an option to
open the trac ticket in a browser window if its too slow for you ;-)

(the commit's sha1 hash depending on the commit message),

Commits are immutable, and enforcing that is the primary feature of every
version control system. In mercurial, too. There are tools for editing the
history, but using them always comes at a price.

Really, you have two options:

* The branching model we are using where all individual commits end up
"public"

* The kernel model where every developer is responsible for cleaning up
their history until it is perfect, and only then share the code.

The second places a much higher burden on the individual developer, and on
his direct collaborators who have to follow the rebases. The advantage is
that the history looks beautiful, and it is more efficient for the guy at
the top.

The main complaint was that the entire ticket description is ending up in
> the
> log. Don't you think that a ticket description has a different purpose
> than a commit message?

These are different commits. Every developer's commit contains a message to
summarize what the commit is about. The release manager's merge commit
doesn't have any intention behind it beyond the obvious "merge that
branch". So the commit message is up for grabs. I think its a good idea to
put some of the ticket metadata there, for example this is then still
available if you are not currently connected to the internet.