On Friday, May 30, 2014 2:19:24 AM UTC-4, Nathann Cohen wrote:

> If I understand your complaint correctly, the problem is that
>> re-compiling after switching branches is too expensive.
>>

> You *NEVER* need to recompile everything when switching branches. There is
> a trick : you should never checkout a branch but instead pull it (merge it)
> with your current version of Sage.

Hmm, I was kind of going on the "avoid unnecessary merges" thing.  Also I
am scared about merge conflicts, which I do not know how to handle because
I don't have a "merge editor", or maybe I do and don't know it.  But this
is helpful to know, thanks.

> This is the "gtmp" function I use for almost everything (and in particular
> for review). It deletes then create a "tmp" branch in git containing the
> remove branch you are interested in (assuming that the local branch 'd'
> points toward the release that you use, i.e. develop in my case)

Volker, is there some similar functionality in "git trac"?

> function gtmp
> {
>     cd ~/sage
>     git checkout d
>     git branch -D tmp
>     git checkout -b tmp d &&
>     git pull trac "$1"
> }
>
> I only type "gtmp public/branch_name" and I can review/test a branch, no
> recompilation involved as only the files changes in the branch have been
> modified.

Well, if there are .pyx files or pkg changes... but point taken.  Thanks!