On Monday, October 24, 2016 at 6:39:27 PM UTC+2, Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:

> Bonus question for the build system experts : can an spkg-install script
> recursively call $SAGE_ROOT/sage -i <some other package> and get the return
> status back ? A simple solution would then be to test for the existence of
> the relevant binaries/executables in the R spkg-install script, and
> recursively install the (optional) relevant packages before proceeding to
> install R.
>
> What do you think ?
>
> I would say the good solution would be to mimick what is done for GCC.
Some calls to the autoconf macros here:
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/blob/master/configure.ac#L393

Also have a look at what is done for the integer multi precision library:
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/blob/master/configure.ac#L657

What is done for BLAS can also help.

I don't have much time these days, but if you don't feel at ease enough
with autotools I can give it a try.