Ive got other plans for this as well anyway :D  and not all are screen based ;)
 more soon on that though

From: owner-sam-us...@nvg.ntnu.no [mailto:owner-sam-us...@nvg.ntnu.no] On
Behalf Of Geoff Winkless
Sent: 13 August 2010 14:16
To: sam-users
Subject: Re: Dizzy (was:Porting spectrum games...)

On 13 August 2010 13:56, Tennebø Frode <frode.tenn...@saabgroup.com> wrote:

> In the version im reworking, itll end up needing about 32-64k
> for dictionaries as well as about 8k for probabilities if i
> use the full lzma system.  Im altering it to be more Sam
> memory size suited hopefully without reducing compressiong size.

I appreciate the challenge in making extreme compression work on SAM, but you
need to achieve some significant compression benifits to make up for that extra
space which could have been used for slightly-less-compressed data. :-)

Well not exactly, because the decompression takes place once a level, after
which you can reuse the space. If you can squeeze it into 24k then that's just
the screen RAM.

Like you though I'm dubious that you'd achieve much better compression than a
fairly basic RLE algorithm, especially on the kind of graphics you want as
background in a game (lots of large blocks of black and quite a few horizontal
lines, usually). Happy to be proved wrong, of course :)

Geoff