http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?030210fa_fact

THE UNKNOWN
by JEFFREY GOLDBERG
The C.I.A. and the Pentagon take another look at Al Qaeda and Iraq.
Issue of 2003-02-10
Posted 2003-02-03

In April of 1998, President Clinton sent his United Nations
Ambassador, Bill Richardson, to South Asia. Richardson's stops
included New Delhi, Islamabad, and, most unusually, Kabul, where he
held the first (and, as it turned out, the last) Cabinet-level
negotiations between the United States and the Taliban leaders of
Afghanistan. Richardson, who is now the governor of New Mexico, is an
effective diplomat. (He returned to international diplomacy briefly
last month, when he met with two North Korean envoys in Santa Fe.) He
is irreverent, and he is not timid, and his trip might have been a
diplomatic success if it had not been an intelligence failure.

During the stop in New Delhi, Richardson met with officials of the
new Hindu-nationalist government of the Bharatiya Janata Party. In
one encounter, Richardson asked the defense minister, George
Fernandes, if his country planned to explode any of its nuclear
weapons. The Indians had not tested their bomb since 1974, but in
early 1998 the newspapers in New Delhi-and in Islamabad, the
Pakistani capital-were filled with speculation about the new
government's intentions. The B.J.P. had stated in its election
platform that it would "not be dictated to by anybody in matters of
security and in the exercise of the nuclear option."

Fernandes, a self-described pacifist, told Richardson that India had
no intention of exploding a nuclear device. Then he changed the
subject to the situation in Burma. In other meetings, Richardson was
given the same soothing message, and the mission to India was so
relaxed that the Assistant Secretary of State, Karl Inderfurth, who
was managing the trip, spent part of one day trying to set up a
cricket demonstration for Richardson, a former minor-league baseball
player. The demonstration was interrupted only once, so that
Richardson could receive a six-minute intelligence briefing from a
New Delhi-based C.I.A. officer.

I accompanied Richardson on the trip, and he allowed me to follow him
into many of his meetings, except for C.I.A. briefings. But it is
clear that no one from the C.I.A. told Richardson that the Indians
were about to explode five nuclear devices in the Rajasthan desert,
which is what they did less than a month after the delegation left
South Asia. Not long ago, one of Richardson's former top aides,
Calvin Mitchell, told me, "Even after we returned from the region, we
received no intelligence that the Indians had lied to us."

Richardson was equally ill-informed in Afghanistan. In a single day,
we visited Kabul and Sheberghan, a town in the north held by anti-
Taliban rebels, and flew back to Islamabad at sundown. It was a
strange day; at one stop, a senior National Security Council official
fell into a sewage ditch, and the NBC correspondent Andrea Mitchell
was nearly trampled by a posse of Uzbek horsemen. Nothing was
stranger, however, than the meeting with the Taliban.

"We have a whole range of issues we're going to bring up with the
Taliban leadership," Inderfurth had told me the day before the trip.
Osama bin Laden, the Taliban's most famous guest, "is just one," he
said.

The American delegation was met at the Kabul airport by Taliban
gunmen in pickup trucks, who drove us to the Presidential Palace. The
freewheeling Richardson decided to include me in the delegation,
telling me to identify myself as a "note-taker," should anyone ask.
An honor guard of Pashtun fighters greeted us and led us through a
series of musty corridors to a small room with gray walls. The room
was undecorated, except for a bookcase holding the collected works of
Washington Irving. We had a long wait before the Taliban delegation
arrived. It was led by Mohammed Rabbani, the deputy to Mullah Omar,
the Taliban leader (who rarely left Kandahar, and who in any case
refused to meet non-Muslims). The Taliban men were ignorant of
diplomatic niceties, and Richardson's icebreaking small talk was met
by incomprehension. But Richardson gamely moved through the issues.
He expressed the Clinton Administration's concern that the Taliban
was shielding a terrorist. Rabbani, who sweated profusely throughout
the meeting, responded, "He is our guest here. He is under our
control."

Richardson persisted; so did the Taliban. Richardson consulted his
State Department and N.S.C. advisers; we waited to see how far he
would push the matter. He dropped it, and continued with the agenda,
which included a discussion of the possibility of running an oil
pipeline across parts of Taliban territory. We were then led to a
banquet hall, where we were served rice and pigeon as gunmen circled
the table.

Calvin Mitchell said, "We certainly didn't know much about Osama at
the time. We didn't know the extent of his network or that he was
bankrolling the entire Taliban."

When I reached Richardson recently at the governor's mansion in Santa
Fe, he recalled his post-mission frustration. "When a foreign leader
wants to deceive you, even the best intelligence is not going to
prove in a foolproof way that the leader is deceiving you," he
said. "But we need to have a better way of sensing the deception of
foreign leaders."

Shortly after the failure to predict India's nuclear tests, George
Tenet, the C.I.A. director, asked a retired Navy admiral, David
Jeremiah, to conduct an investigation. At the time, Senator Daniel
Patrick Moynihan-who had long emphasized a need to improve
intelligence collection and analysis, as well as the oversight of the
more than thirty-billion-dollar national intelligence apparatus-
said, "The question is: Why don't we learn to read? What's the State
Department for? The political leadership in India as much as said
they were going to begin testing. There's a tendency at the State
Department to say, 'Gee, the C.I.A. never told us.' "

Jeremiah found that the United States had an insufficient number of
satellites focussed on India; that the intelligence community's
photograph analysts were overworked and undertrained; and that the
C.I.A. had too few spies on the ground. But underscoring all this,
Jeremiah said, was a particularly American sort of assumption: both
intelligence analysts and policymakers assumed that the Indians would
not test their nuclear weapons because Americans would not, in
similar circumstances, test nuclear weapons. In the world of
intelligence, this is known as mirror-imaging: the projection of
American values and behavior onto America's enemies and rivals. "I
suppose my bottom line is that both the intelligence and the policy
communities had an underlying mind-set going into these tests that
the B.J.P. would behave as we behave," Jeremiah said at a press
conference held to announce his findings.

America's early assessment of bin Laden was similarly flawed. In the
American mind, of course, the bin Laden of April, 1998, was not the
bin Laden of September, 2001. But his intentions were no secret. Two
months before the Richardson meeting, bin Laden had issued a fatwa, a
religious ruling, in which he called on Muslims to kill Americans-
civilians and military. Yet, among the group of Americans travelling
with Richardson five years ago, the fatwa was a passing source of
black humor; the threat seemed too outlandish to be taken seriously.

In the foreword to Roberta Wohlstetter's classic 1962 study, "Pearl
Harbor: Warning and Decision," the national-security expert Thomas
Schelling wrote that America's ability to be surprised by the actions
of its enemies is the result of a "poverty of expectations." He went
on, "There is a tendency in our planning to confuse the unfamiliar
with the improbable. The contingency we have not considered seriously
looks strange; what looks strange is thought improbable; what is
improbable need not be considered seriously."

Wohlstetter's work revealed that Pearl Harbor was not much of a
surprise at all. It showed that the American government's fatal
mistake was not a failure to pick up signals-overheard conversations,
decoded cables, unusual ship movements-but a failure to separate out
signals from noise, to understand which signals were meaningful, and
to imagine that the Japanese might do something as irrational as
attacking the headquarters of the U.S. Pacific fleet. In other words,
the Americans heard the signals but didn't listen to them.

One day earlier this winter, I visited Fort Meade, outside Baltimore,
which is the home of the National Security Agency, the country's main
signals-intelligence group. The director of the N.S.A. is a cerebral,
well-respected Air Force general named Michael Hayden, and I spoke to
him about the challenges of signal collection. We sat in his office,
a large room with a view of the N.S.A.'s obsessively guarded complex
of black buildings. The office had been scrubbed of classified
material in anticipation of my visit.

"Our noise-to-signal ratio is twenty to one, that one being something
useful," Hayden told me. "Not necessarily tactically useful, just
remotely useful. But even this is misleading, because it's twenty to
one after we've done all sorts of things to make it humanly
intelligible. You have to collect, process, translate, move it down
the funnel, transform it from noise into a signal, before you know if
it's useful."

I asked Hayden whether he thought Pearl Harbor or September 11th had
been the greater surprise. "Pearl Harbor was, essentially, not a
surprise," he said. "It was that one could not divine the meaningful
signals from the thousands that were out there." He thought about the
question a little longer and added, "I'm going to say, and I might
change my mind, perhaps it was more a failure of imagination this
time than last. We failed to see how absolute their"-Al Qaeda's-
"world view is. A signals-intelligence agency gets inside the head of
an adversary, if you're doing your job at all. You get to know the
inside of a target. But I don't think we properly appreciated how
capable and how different, how evil, that mind-set is."

Hayden also suggested that September 11th was the greater surprise,
because the United States was, in effect, already at war with bin
Laden. "Al Qaeda had attacked us before," he pointed out, "and we had
a broad effort against the group." He noted that, after the 1998
bombings of two American embassies in East Africa, Tenet had told the
intelligence community that he was "declaring war" on Al Qaeda.
Nevertheless, Hayden said, America was surprised.

I asked Donald Rumsfeld, the Secretary of Defense, the same question
when, in late January, I met with him in his office in the Pentagon.
Rumsfeld was moving troops to the Persian Gulf that day, but in our
discussion he focussed on the role of surprise in intelligence
failure. He wasn't interested in assigning blame for the failure to
predict or stop the September 11th attacks; in fact, he objected when
I used the word "failure," preferring, as Tenet does, the
word "defeat." He said, "When you hear people criticizing the agency,
I think it's important to reverse it and say, 'People ought to really
critique how professional and how substantive the users of
intelligence are in contributing critical feedback.' " In other
words, the blame for "defeats" in intelligence can be ascribed as
much to executive-branch policymakers and the intelligence committees
of Congress as it can to Middle East analysts in the cubicles of the
C.I.A. Echoing Moynihan's argument, Rumsfeld also said that
policymakers mistakenly assume that information must be secret in
order to have value. "There's something about me, I suppose, and
others possibly, where we read intel and we begin to think that this
is the sum total of what we know about a subject and not really go in
and probe the open sources, which are rich in many cases," he said.

In the late nineteen-nineties, Rumsfeld, who was then working in
private industry (he had already had one tour as Secretary of
Defense, under President Ford), chaired a commission set up by
Congress to examine the ballistic-missile programs of America's
rivals and enemies. The commission, whose members included Rumsfeld's
current deputy, Paul Wolfowitz, concluded that American intelligence
agencies did not possess the analytic depth or the right methods of
analysis to accurately assess the threat. "Intelligence assessments
and estimates must be grounded in the facts," the commission
concluded. "But to be useful, they cannot be limited to reporting
only what is known about a particular program. Yet, in a large number
of cases examined, Commissioners found analysts unwilling to make
estimates that extended beyond the hard evidence they had in hand,
which effectively precluded developing and testing alternative
hypotheses about the actual foreign programs taking place."

Rumsfeld is especially drawn to Schelling's theory of surprise; he
believes that surprise is often the by-product of analytical
timidity. "The poverty of expectations-the failure of imagination-I
found this just so interesting," Rumsfeld said. "We tend to hear what
we expect to hear, whether it's bad or good. Human nature is that
way. Unless something is jarring, you tend to stay on your track and
get it reinforced rather than recalibrated. If I as a policymaker
fail to make a conscious decision that you want to go around three
hundred and sixty degrees and test things, you're likely to stay in a
rut. And we've seen our country do that."

Rumsfeld believes that one long-held belief among Middle East
analysts is overdue for reconsideration: the idea that doctrinal
differences prevent Sunni and Shiite Muslims, and religious and
secular Muslims, from pursuing common projects in anti-American
terrorism. This is a subject of great relevance today, because the
Bush Administration contends that Baghdad is a sponsor of Al Qaeda;
critics of the Administration's foreign policy argue that bin Laden
and Saddam Hussein are natural enemies. "The argument is that Al
Qaeda has got a religious motivation, somehow or other, and the Iraqi
regime is considered to be a secular regime," Rumsfeld said. "The
answer to that is, so what? The Iraqi regime will use anything it can
to its advantage. Why wouldn't they use any implement at hand?"

Rumsfeld's work on the ballistic-missile commission convinced him
that intelligence analysts were not asking themselves the full range
of questions on any given subject-including what they didn't know.
Rumsfeld gave me a copy of some aphorisms he had collected during the
process of assessing the ballistic-missile threat. "Some of these are
humorous," he said, not quite accurately. One was "There are knowns,
known unknowns, and unknown unknowns." (The saying is attributed,
naturally, to "Unknown.") "I think this construct is just powerful,"
Rumsfeld said. "The unknown unknowns, we do not even know we don't
know them."

During the commission's hearings, Rumsfeld went on, intelligence
analysts would brief the commission members. "They'd say, 'This is a
fact.' And we'd say, 'Well, when did you learn it?' 'On this day,
X.' 'And when did it start?' 'Back here, several years back.' And, of
course, it's embarrassing. When you get some pieces of information,
the implication is, you know, that you've done a good job. But the
real question is: When did it actually start and when did we find out
about it?"

In the case of the missile programs of two countries he would not
name, he said, "There were instances in which we didn't know
something until two, four, six, eight, twelve, and, in one case,
thirteen years after it happened. If we didn't know this for five
years, that means that there may very well be things that started
five years ago that we don't know about at all."

Rumsfeld said that the ideas contained in the commission's report are
spreading through the fourteen organizations that make up the
intelligence community (these range from the Defense Intelligence
Agency to Coast Guard intelligence). "You find not infrequently now
that there will be a section, and it will have a fairly typical
analysis, and then it will be followed by a section labelled 'What we
don't know.' "

There have been frequent reports of tension between the Defense
Department and the C.I.A., particularly on the question of the links
between Saddam and Al Qaeda. But the two men who lead these
bureaucracies have kind words for each other.

"Rumsfeld should get a hell of a lot of credit for challenging the
conventional wisdom, for challenging the bureaucracy," Tenet told me
not long ago in his office at C.I.A. headquarters, in Langley,
Virginia. Tenet, who does not conform to the patrician mold of the
C.I.A.'s early directors-he is Greek-American and a proud son of
Queens-seemed tired on the gray morning we met. His office is long
and narrow; a torn American flag rescued from the ruins of the World
Trade Center hung on the wall over his shoulder.

When Tenet and Rumsfeld talk about intelligence theory, it is hard to
see major differences. Of his own agency Tenet said, "We spend a
great deal of time encouraging analysts to get out of their own
skins, to try to think the way the enemy thinks." He also
said, "We're emphasizing the point, as the saying goes, that
intelligence work is often not about evidence but about the absence
of evidence." (Aides to both Tenet and Rumsfeld claim that their man
devised this formula.)

Tenet, who became the C.I.A. director in 1997 (he was a Clinton
appointee), gained the trust of President Bush early in the
Administration, and he has survived thanks to the C.I.A.'s work
during the war in Afghanistan; to his desire to rebuild the C.I.A.'s
clandestine service, which had fallen into disrepair during the
Clinton years; and to the fact that, while the C.I.A. committed major
blunders in the days leading up to September 11th, the F.B.I.'s
mistakes were catastrophic. In addition, he is able to communicate
effectively on Capitol Hill.

In his office, Tenet listed questions that he thinks should be asked
about the C.I.A.'s performance. "Are we making steady progress in
penetration? Yes. Do we have success in technical intelligence-
gathering? Yes. Did we stop the attacks? No." Tenet went on, "The
Israelis probably have as ironclad a structure to deter terrorism as
anybody in the world, but they continue to lose people. The way they
think about this is that they are in a constant state of war and
there are wins and losses in a war. This changes their mind-set." He
added, "Failure means you're not paying attention. You knew about the
target but you didn't do anything about it. Defeat is what happens in
a war against an agile enemy who will find ways to beat you."

Tenet doesn't think that America has experienced the worst of Al
Qaeda terrorism. "My worry is that, whatever we learn, it will never
be enough. There will be another attack. They will take advantage of
seams in our security. If you're looking for infallibility in the
intelligence system, you're going to be constantly surprised and
pained. You're dealing with an enemy that has studied your homeland
extremely well."

As in the days before Pearl Harbor, there was no lack of meaningful
signals in the weeks before September 11th. In fact, Tenet spent the
summer of 2001 hectoring lawmakers and Administration officials about
the danger he saw on the horizon. "George just badgered me," Porter
Goss, the chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on
Intelligence, told me. Goss, a Florida Republican who is a former
C.I.A. officer and an ally of Tenet's, said that he had agreed to be
badgered. "I understood what was happening," Goss said. "But we
failed anyway. We knew what was coming, but we could not sing the
song in a key that anyone would hear."

The C.I.A., of course, did not know the time or the place of the
anticipated attack, and so could offer no tactical intelligence. It
made at least one critical error, when it learned, long before
September 11th, that two of the hijackers, who had attended a crucial
Al Qaeda planning meeting in Malaysia, were travelling to America.
Despite this knowledge, the C.I.A. did not place the men's names on
terrorist watch lists until August of 2001.

Tenet, while admitting that his agency made mistakes, said that
excessive focus on such mistakes obscures larger truths. "People can
fault individual decisions," he said. "But it's vignette-driven. 'Why
didn't you watch-list these particular guys?' But with these
vignettes you're going to miss the bigger picture-that they're going
to come in using different techniques next time." Many intelligence
officials assume that watch lists have only limited value;
terrorists, they say, will travel to post-9/11 America using false
documents.

The desire to identify the people responsible for intelligence
failure is natural, but it may be irrelevant, according to Thomas
Schelling, who teaches at the University of Maryland. "I tend to
think there's too much interest in finding blame for September 11th,"
Schelling said. "Surprise has two very different meanings. One is 'I
didn't expect it,' and the other is 'I couldn't anticipate
everything.' It seems to me that if smart people had somehow made a
list of one hundred potential Al Qaeda targets, and then from that
figured out that they might hijack airplanes and use them in attacks,
they would still have a hard time telling the officials of airports
what to be on the lookout for, or what these men would need to hijack
a plane. I tend to think that what Al Qaeda did was beautifully
conceived but not terribly difficult to do. Once they had the
concept, the rest was easy."

On the question of failure of imagination, Tenet seemed to disagree
with Rumsfeld. "We don't have an absence of imagination," he
said. "What we have is threat fatigue. We're inundated by this stuff.
We have to guard against numbness as we go through intense periods of
threat reporting."

Top C.I.A. officials told me that analysts in the agency's
Counterterrorist Center had imagined the airborne suicide attack as a
tactic, but had also imagined dozens of other ways in which
terrorists could strike American targets. I asked one official why
his analysts could not match a target to a technique-why they
couldn't guess that the World Trade Center, which had been the target
of one terrorist attack, in 1993, would be the target of another,
from the air. "We had reports over the last six or eight years that
Al Qaeda people are interested in aviation," this person told
me. "You have concrete knowledge that the World Trade Center is a
target. What keeps those two pieces of information from joining?
Well, if we took every credible tactic we hear about and applied it
to every credible target, the alarm would be sounded every day."

But Tenet said that his analysts have been encouraged to extend
themselves, to lower the threshold for what is credible. In
intelligence, he said, "very few snippets of evidence can take you to
a judicial conclusion. Nothing is crystal clear." He's also pushing
his analysts to think in different ways. "We're moving people away
from linear thinking," he said, and added, "It takes years and years
to walk back the risk aversion in a bureaucracy, but we're doing it."

In the ideological taxonomy of the Bush Administration, the C.I.A.,
because it has long downplayed the theory of an Iraq-Al Qaeda
connection, has been regarded as being on the side of the doves. The
hawks have accused the C.I.A. of politicizing the intelligence
process by dismissing information that would substantiate the
connection-and in that way strengthen the Administration's case
against Iraq.

A key moment in this argument took place one weekday last August,
when a small group of Defense Department officials drove from the
Pentagon to the headquarters of the C.I.A., for what they expected to
be a tension-filled meeting with the agency's top analysts. Leading
the Pentagon team was Douglas Feith, the Under-Secretary of Defense
for policy, who is considered to be an Iraq hawk in the style of his
superiors, Wolfowitz and Rumsfeld. Feith brought with him a Defense
Intelligence Agency analyst, Tina Shelton, and a Naval intelligence
reservist, Christopher Carney. The Defense Department had asked
Shelton and Carney to reëxamine evidence collected by the C.I.A.
about the relationship between terrorist networks and their state
sponsors, including Iraq and Al Qaeda, and to re-analyze the data in
the manner suggested by Rumsfeld's ballistic-missile-threat
commission; that is, to build a hypothesis, and then see if the data
supported the hypothesis, rather than the reverse. "If you take
thirty movie reviewers and show them the same movie," Feith told
me, "they will understand its meaning in thirty different ways, and
they will even understand the plot in different ways, and I'm not
talking about watching 'Rashomon.' "

The presentation was made in a small conference room, and as many as
twenty C.I.A. executives and analysts crowded in, along with the
director of the D.I.A., Vice-Admiral Lowell E. Jacoby, and Tenet
himself. According to several people with knowledge of the meeting,
Carney and Shelton told the C.I.A. officials that, based on their own
reading of agency intelligence, it appeared likely that Saddam's
relationship with Al Qaeda was serious and that it dated back to the
terror group's early days in Sudan. Bin Laden had his headquarters in
Khartoum in the early nineteen-nineties, before moving to
Afghanistan, in 1996. "These people weren't hired to do alternative
analysis," Feith claimed. "But once they read deeply into the
material, which, by the way, was good C.I.A. material, they came up
with some fresh connections and ideas and analysis." Feith went
on, "When we fed this analysis back into the C.I.A., they were happy
to receive it. Tenet understands, as Rumsfeld understands, that an
extra set of eyes on intelligence material is a good thing."

The Defense team had expected resistance from C.I.A. officials, but,
to the surprise of many in the room, Tenet was open to the Pentagon
analysis. However, one top official familiar with Tenet's thinking
told me that early last year, well before the August meeting, C.I.A.
officials had asked the agency's Red Cell team, an internal think
tank, to undertake "a different sort of analysis, 'go a little more
hypothetical on the question, and see what you come up with.' They
gave us a report, and it seemed pretty hypothetical. But then it
stopped seeming so hypothetical."

There's nothing new about hypothesis-driven analysis. Angelo
Codevilla, a Boston University professor of international relations
and a former senior staff member of the Senate Intelligence
Committee, pointed to the risks-in particular that "you put the
monkey on the back of the policymaker. This is dangerous if you have
policymakers who don't want to hear more than one opinion. George
Bush, just like his father, doesn't like to be faced with choices."
Codevilla also said that analysts could "stray too far from the
data," adding that the real problem is that "the C.I.A. has not been
gathering enough quality data." According to a senior Administration
official, the C.I.A. itself is split on the question of a Baghdad-Al
Qaeda connection: analysts in the agency's Near East-South Asia
division discount the notion; the Counterterrorist Center supports
it. The senior Administration official told me that Tenet tends to
agree with the Counterterrorist Center.

When I saw Tenet, I asked if he now considered Saddam to be a primary
sponsor of Al Qaeda. "Well, read my letter to Senator Graham," Tenet
replied.

In October of 2002, when Bob Graham was the chairman of the Senate
Intelligence Committee, Tenet wrote to him, explaining the C.I.A.'s
understanding of the Iraq-Al Qaeda connection. It is a curious
letter, which begins with a statement that "Baghdad for now appears
to be drawing a line short of conducting terrorist attacks with
conventional or CBW"-chemical and biological weapons-"against the
United States." At the same time, Tenet said, Iraq has "provided
training to Al Qaeda members in the areas of poisons and gases and
making conventional bombs." Tenet added, "Credible information
indicates that Iraq and Al Qaeda have discussed safe haven and
reciprocal non-aggression," and he suggested that, even without an
American attack on Iraq, "Baghdad's links to terrorists will
increase."

The evolution of Tenet's beliefs has made those opposed to an
invasion of Iraq uneasy. Senator Graham thinks that the
C.I.A.'s "evolved" understanding of the Iraq-Al Qaeda connection is
the result of pressure from Rumsfeld. "Maybe the C.I.A. has been
coöpted in this whole thing," Graham told me. "I'm not personalizing
it to George, but institutionally the C.I.A. is being challenged by a
very aggressive Defense Department."

Others who have watched Tenet, however, say that he does not trim his
opinions for political reasons. "I find him to be a straightforward
person on analysis," Nancy Pelosi, the House Minority Leader, who
until recently was the ranking Democrat on the intelligence
committee, told me. Pelosi added that she considers Iran a greater
terrorist threat than Iraq.

Tenet's thinking on the subject was deliberate, according to several
agency sources. Information gleaned from the interrogations of high-
level Al Qaeda prisoners pushed Tenet to rethink the opinion,
advanced by C.I.A. officials such as Paul Pillar, the National
Intelligence Officer for the Middle East, that ideological
differences between the secular Saddam and Islamic radicals, such as
Al Qaeda, made it unlikely that these two enemies of America would
form an alliance. Clearly, the Rumsfeld view, which maintains that
the commonly held hatred of the United States trumps ideology and
theology, is ascendant, at the C.I.A. as well as at the Pentagon.
Pillar himself, in a faxed comment, conceded that, "despite major
differences, tactical coöperation is possible," but added that "the
contingency that would be most likely to motivate Saddam to develop a
relationship with radical Islamists that would be deeper than limited
tactical cooperation would be a belief that he was about to lose
power"-such as in a United States-led attack on Iraq.

According to several intelligence officials I spoke to, the
relationship between bin Laden and Saddam's regime was brokered in
the early nineteen-nineties by the then de-facto leader of Sudan, the
pan-Islamist radical Hassan al-Tourabi. Tourabi, sources say,
persuaded the ostensibly secular Saddam to add to the Iraqi flag the
words "Allahu Akbar," as a concession to Muslim radicals.

In interviews with senior officials, the following picture emerged:
American intelligence believes that Al Qaeda and Saddam reached a non-
aggression agreement in 1993, and that the relationship deepened
further in the mid-nineteen-nineties, when an Al Qaeda operative-a
native-born Iraqi who goes by the name Abu Abdullah al-Iraqi-was
dispatched by bin Laden to ask the Iraqis for help in poison-gas
training. Al-Iraqi's mission was successful, and an unknown number of
trainers from an Iraqi secret-police organization called Unit 999
were dispatched to camps in Afghanistan to instruct Al Qaeda
terrorists. (Training in hijacking techniques was also provided to
foreign Islamist radicals inside Iraq, according to two Iraqi
defectors quoted in a report in the Times in November of 2001.)
Another Al Qaeda operative, the Iraqi-born Mamdouh Salim, who goes by
the name Abu Hajer al-Iraqi, also served as a liaison in the mid-
nineteen-nineties to Iraqi intelligence. Salim, according to a recent
book, "The Age of Sacred Terror," by the former N.S.C. officials
Daniel Benjamin and Steven Simon, was bin Laden's chief procurer of
weapons of mass destruction, and was involved in the early nineties
in chemical-weapons development in Sudan. Salim was arrested in
Germany in 1998 and was extradited to the United States. He is
awaiting trial in New York on charges related to the 1998 East Africa
embassy bombings; he was convicted last April of stabbing a Manhattan
prison guard in the eye with a sharpened comb.

Intelligence officials told me that the agency also takes seriously
reports that an Iraqi known as Abu Wa'el, whose real name is Saadoun
Mahmoud Abdulatif al-Ani, is the liaison of Saddam's intelligence
service to a radical Muslim group called Ansar al-Islam, which
controls a small enclave in northern Iraq; the group is believed by
American and Kurdish intelligence officials to be affiliated with Al
Qaeda. I learned of another possible connection early last year,
while I was interviewing Al Qaeda operatives in a Kurdish prison in
Sulaimaniya. There, a man whom Kurdish intelligence officials
identified as a captured Iraqi agent told me that in 1992 he served
as a bodyguard to Ayman al-Zawahiri, bin Laden's deputy, when
Zawahiri secretly visited Baghdad.

Ansar al-Islam was created on September 1, 2001, when two Kurdish
radical groups merged forces. According to Barham Salih, the Prime
Minister of the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan, the group seized a
chain of villages in the mountainous region outside the city of
Halabja, and made a safe haven for Al Qaeda fighters. "Our
intelligence information confirmed that the group was declared on
September 1st at the behest of bin Laden and Al Qaeda," Prime
Minister Salih told me last week, in a telephone conversation from
Davos, Switzerland. "It was meant to be an alternative base of
operations, since they were apparently anticipating that Afghanistan
was going to become a denied area to them."

Salih also said that a month before the September 11th attacks a
senior Al Qaeda operative called Abdulrahman al-Shami was dispatched
from Afghanistan to the Kurdish mountain town of Biyara, to organize
the Ansar al-Islam enclave. Shami was killed in November, 2001, in a
battle with the pro-American forces of the Patriotic Union of
Kurdistan.

The Ansar al-Islam enclave, according to Salih and American
intelligence officials, soon became the base of operations of an Al
Qaeda subgroup called Jund al-Shams, or Soldiers of the Levant, which
operates mainly in Jordan and Syria. Jund al-Shams is controlled by a
man named Mussa'ab al-Zarqawi, a Jordanian of Palestinian extraction.
Zarqawi is believed by European intelligence agencies to be Al
Qaeda's main specialist in chemical and biological terrorism. Zarqawi
is also believed to be behind the assassination, on October 28th, of
an American A.I.D. official in Jordan, and also two unsuccessful
assassination attempts: last February 20th, Ali Bourjaq, a Jordanian
secret-police official, escaped injury when a bomb detonated near his
home; and on April 2nd gunmen opened fire on Prime Minister Salih's
home in Sulaimaniya. Salih was unhurt, but five of his bodyguards
were killed; two bystanders were killed in the Bourjaq assassination
attempt.

The Administration believes that Zarqawi made his way to Baghdad
after the United States' invasion of Afghanistan, when he was
wounded. According to American sources, Zarqawi was treated in a
Baghdad hospital but disappeared from Baghdad shortly after the
Jordanian government asked Iraq to extradite him. American
intelligence officials believe that Zarqawi was also among an unknown
number of Al Qaeda terrorists who have sought refuge in the Ansar al-
Islam over the past seventeen months.

Recently, I asked two former C.I.A. directors, James Woolsey and
Robert Gates, to talk about the problem of analyzing an incomplete
set of evidence-the same challenge that stymied intelligence analysts
in the days before December 7, 1941, and September 11, 2001.

Woolsey, who served as President Clinton's first C.I.A. director,
said that it is now illogical to doubt the notion that Saddam
collaborates with Islamist terrorism, and that he would provide
chemical or biological weapons to Al Qaeda. "At Salman Pak"-a
training camp near Baghdad-"we know there were Islamist terrorists
training to hijack airplanes in groups of four or five with short
knives," Woolsey told me. "I mean, hello? If we had seen after
December 7, 1941, a fake American battleship in a lake in northern
Italy, and a group of Asian pilots training there, would we have
said, 'Well, you can't prove that they were Japanese'?"

Gates, who was C.I.A. director under George H. W. Bush, said that the
evidence linking Saddam to Al Qaeda is not irrefutable, but he noted
that ambiguous evidence is an occupational hazard in intelligence
work. Gates suggested that the current debate over Iraq's ties to
terrorism is reminiscent of a debate about the Soviet Union twenty
years ago. Then, he said, "you had analysts in the C.I.A. who
said, 'Absolutely not, it would be contrary to their interests to
support unpredictable, uncontrollable groups.' There were other
analysts who said, 'Baloney.' They had a lot of good history, and
circumstantial reporting on their side, but they didn't have good
evidence. Once the Soviet Union collapsed, and we got hold of the
East German Stasi records, we learned, of course, that both the East
Germans and the Soviets were supporting Baader-Meinhof and other
terrorist groups."

Gates continued, "I have always argued, in light of my fairly
detailed knowledge of the shortcomings of our intelligence
capabilities, that the fact that we don't have reliable human
intelligence that proves something conclusively is happening is no
proof at all that nothing is happening. In these situations, the
evidence will almost always be ambiguous. On capabilities, it's not
ambiguous. Can Saddam produce these weapons of mass destruction? Yes."

The ambiguity, Gates said, has to do with "intentions," and he went
on, "If the stakes and the consequences are small, you're going to
want ninety-per-cent assurance. It's a risk calculus. On the other
hand, if your worry is along the lines of what Rumsfeld is saying-
another major attack on the U.S., possibly with biological or
chemical weapons-and you look at the consequences of September 11th,
then the equation of risk changes. You have to be prepared to go
forward with a lot lower level of confidence in the evidence you
have. A fifty-per-cent chance of such an attack happening is so
terrible that it changes the calculation of risk."