Hi list,

Update: originally i wanted to post a question,
but in writing i thought of things that finally led me
to the solution. This i wanted to share with the community
in case it can help.

Sorry if this is a FAQ, but I had no luck searching for it.
I have a working Samba 2.2.5 installation on SuSE8.1.
I have two users on a windows client called
Torge (that's me)
and
Ga&ediaresis;lle (interpreted as HTML special character)
You could also write Ga\"elle (TeX convention),
but fact is: there is a higher ascii character in the name,
that i prefer not to get rid of.
I have users for the same two persons on the server
called:
toh
and:
gab
my smbusers file reads something like this:

toh = torge
gab = gaelle ga?lle

I (toh=torge) can log on impeccably to the server,
while my partner (gab=gaelle) is blocked.
The log says:

[2003/09/29 11:57:18, 1] smbd/password.c:pass_check_smb(545)
 Couldn't find user 'ga211lle' in passdb.

Where the 211 is written in reverse graphics.
Now my question is: what should i put in the place of the
question mark in my smbusers file?

Thanks in advance,
Torge

P.S.: Answer: with some cat'ing and >>'ing i managed to
put the exact character from the log into the smbusers
and it worked. Note though that just less'ing and copying
into vi with the mouse would not work.