You cannot log onto a Samba domain (or any type of Windows domain) from Window XP/home. However, if you set up users on your Samba server, you can share their home directories. When Windows tries to connect, it will pass the current user name and password so you can access network shares. Note that these users need to be defined in Samba for the password checking to work.

You can try playing around with %u in the path directive for your home directories. e.g. path = /home/%u.

Try using SWAT to do the heavy lifting on this (such as creating your users).

Brian Thibault wrote:
Hi there,

I have my Samba, set up and running. My users are add and should be set up right. The problem is when I can't access my home directories from Windows XP Home Edition <http://www.linuxforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=179059#>.

It should give me a login box right? .. but its not. It just gives me the
error message that I don't have access to the folder.

When I manually add my home directory though in my smb.conf, then click on that directory from my windows box, it presents me w/ a login box. After I
login here, then I can access my "magic" home directory.

Here is my smb.conf dump from testparm:

[global]
workgroup = XXXXX
server <http://www.linuxforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=179059#> string
= File Server
map to guest = Bad User
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n
log file <http://www.linuxforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=179059#> =
/var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 50
server signing = Auto
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
printcap name = /etc/printcap
preferred master = No
domain master = No
dns proxy = No