On Thu, 7 Mar 2013, Yasha Karant wrote:

We have bioinformatics visualization applications that require a java plugin enabled web browser. The only plugin from Oracle/Sun Java that works is:

Java Downloads for Linux
Recommended Version 7 Update 17

Linux RPM filesize: 54.7 MB Instructions After installing Java, you will need to enable Java in your browser.
        Linux filesize: 45.9 MB         Instructions
        Linux x64 * filesize: 44.6 MB   Instructions
Linux x64 RPM * filesize: 52.8 MB Instructions32-bit version for Java applet and Java Web Start suppor
* Please use the 32-bit version for Java applet and Java Web Start support.

End quote from java.com

I think that is out of date

On my SL6.3 laptop, With the *64*bit 7u17 jdk rpm from oracle (
  http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
follow the DOWNLOAD link and agree hthe licence)
and 64 bit firefox-17.0.3
http://www.javatester.org/version.html says I'm running Jave Version: 1.7.0_17 from Oracle Corporation.

You may have to disable Iced-Tea in firefox/addons/plugins, but you
I didn't need to restart firefox to switch between the oracle and openjdk
java plugins.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
a.c.aitchi...@dpmms.cam.ac.uk   http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna