-- Sent from my HP Pre3

On Mar 18, 2013 10:53 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nka...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 5:57 PM, Paul Robert Marino <prmari...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Its mostly due to the uid and gid name mapping to names instead of numbers
> introduced in NFS 4 by default if possible a backup is saved as an extended
> attribute and can also compound the atime update speed issue.

You don't disable atime? That's one of the most ritical speed
enhancements for busy filesystems that I've ever found, and it has
almost no use for most software. OK, it might be handy for expiring
lightly used proxied material, but the performance cost and constant
shuffling of rarely used data to the filesystem is very expensive.

Of course I do!, ( no punctuation police please I'm making a point) but what I was saying  again the problem is compounded if you don't disable atime!

> As for JFS its been a long time since I tested it but I had the reverse
> issue.
> Oh and I know the issue you ran into with xfs its rare but has been known to
> happen I've hit it once my self on a laptop its a journal problem, and fsck
> isn't the tool to use.
> There is a specific xfs repair tool to fix the journal or can rebuild it
> from the backup inodes

Then are you agreed that it's too likely to occur for high reliability
filesystems, and only more suitable for high flowthrough data whose
provenance is not so critical?

Hells No!
I was stating that the person who replied didn't read the documentation for the file system and if he had instead of assuming the safe general best bet fsck was the right tool he would have known fsck does nothing for XFS and it has a different tool for this kind of problem that needs to be used less often. My ultimate goal was to guide new users to look for the right tool to fix the rare problems that show up in the file system, without maiming the person who made the statement appear in a bad light, because he ran into a legitimate issue to most people who didn't read the documentation for the file system.

Where are you drawing your wild conclusions from? Seriously they aren't based any where near the content of the conversation. If you don't have any thing constructive to contribute keep it to your self.

Stop trying to start a flame ware out of an intellectual conversation between experienced people trying to help some one by sharing their expriences.