Charles Campbell wrote:
Hello!

I'm pretty sure that I'm running into a security blockade.  I have
several small example sockets programs which have compiled and worked in
the past on other platforms.  However, they are not working under SL
6.3, even when I change ports multiple times.

I have:

    * disabled SELINUX  (I first tried setenforce 0 as root to make it
simply permissive, but no luck, so I disabled it instead)
    * turned iptables off:  /etc/init.d/iptables stop

Still, after having done both of these, I can't get a simple socket and
client example to work.  The /var/log/messages file simply shows my
shutting off of iptables.

Is there another thing that I can do to get some simple sockets examples
to work?   I figure once I have located the problems, I can begin to
attack the rules needed to get it to work.

Upon revisiting this problem:

* disabling selinux on my laptop (with SL6.3) did result in my example sockets programs to work on my laptop. Not sure why it didn't work before, although perhaps I only tested this disabling with the desktop.

* disabling selinux on my desktop (with SL6.3) still has difficulties. The sockets programs hang on accept()/connect() calls. The major difference that I see between the two is that the desktop is running SL6.3 in a VM (vmWare 7.0).

FYI - I ran the sockets program using sockaddr_in although both the server and client resided on the same machine.

Anyway, looks to me like there's something awry with the vmWare+SL6.3 combo which is blocking the socket connections from occurring.

Regards,
C Campbell