I've seen symptoms like this that are the result of the switch deciding the port is behaving badly (by some weird and unknown algorithm).

The cause can either be the switch or the NIC or just a bad cable connection. So I would first try to plug the machine into a different port on the switch and then if the machine has two ethernet cards swap the internal and external configurations and wires and see if the problem follows.

Joe