On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Tom H <tomh0...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 7:53 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nka...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 3:25 AM, James Rogers <wa...@preternatural.net>
> > wrote:
>

> > We're basically going to be stuck with systemd for release 7. It's wedged
> > into all the upstream Fedora daemons, sometimes with a crowbar and a can
> of
> > Jiffy Lube. There are some serious problems that it resolves (such as
> demons
> > dying off, and requiring some sort of master daemon to make sure they get
> > restarted as needed). If you want to affect choices like that, then you
> need
> > to get into the developer cycles with Fedora and affect changes upstream.
>
> Given how fully-fleshed out systemd is and the momentum that it has, I
> don't see how getting involved in Fedora or further upstream could
> change the basic thrust of systemd.

Oh, yes, I didn't mean to to suggest we'd have a lot of choice about
systemd coming down the pike at *this* point.   Current Fedora releases
have already discarded the sysvinit package, it looks like a done deal for
the pending release 7 from our favorite upstream Linux vendor. I meant that
if we wanted to affect changes like this, we have to be involved in the
Fedora releases as developers, and users, and critics of what are the
software candidates fo rthe next release.

> We could maintain two source trees, one with .spec files and init scripts
> > for systemd and the other for init scripts. I *don't* recommend that, it
> > gets nasty.
>
> Or you could not ship a systemd file until EL-6 is retired since
> systemd can launch and supervise sysvinit scripts.

Our favorite upstream vendor has a nominal 10 year support cycle for major
releases: so we're talking about 7 years from now, and a couple more major
upstream releases to remain compatible with. I port stuff with daemons in
it between OS releases, mostly over at https://gitub.com/nkadel/,and just
ran into this backporting RT version 4.0.17 back to SL 6. (That takes about
50 new perl RPM's to port, by the way, that I'll try tp publish next week!)
It's going to make backporting tools that already have systemd written into
them fun.