On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 8:53 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 7:30 PM, hansel <han...@mnstate.edu> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > If I download the Oracle rpm for 1.8, do the necessary links in
> > /etc/alternatives, remove Open JDK 1.7 and make sure the enviroment
> > variables are correct, do I avoid crashes (or silent errors) -- to the
> best
> > of more experienced SL users' knowledge, of course?
> >
> > Some of what I do depends on Java version 1.8 andI need to do something.
> (On
> > other distos, I would just do it (and did with Ubuntu), but SL7 docs
> carry
> > strong warnings about introducting conflicts.)
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Mark Hansel
> > Emeritus Professor of Sociology and Criminal Justice
> > Minnesota State University Moorhead
> > han...@mnstate.edu
> > han...@hanselshire.org
>
> Why would you want to? openjdk-1.8.0 is available directly as part of
> RHEL and Scientific Linux, with source code,  Installing either
> jdk-1.8.0 or opndk-1.8.0 can be done along with openjdk-1.7.0,

These are not exactly the same as Oracle Java and, unfortunately, some Java
applications only work with Oracle Java.

Mark, I have been using Oracle Java 1.8 for a while now without any issues.
After installing the Oracle Java rpm on my system, this is the script I
wrote to set it up in /etc/alternatives and make it the default:

https://gist.github.com/nocnokneo/fae7b70af4a7b2623b8c

Taylor