On 08/24/2015 04:18 AM, Bill Maidment wrote:
-----Original message-----
From:   ToddAndMargo <toddandma...@zoho.com>
Sent:   Mon 24-08-2015 19:36
Subject:        SL 7.1 upgrade has been a disaster
To:     scientific-linux-users@fnal.gov <SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS@fnal.gov>;
Hi All,

I just upgraded from SL 6.6 to 7.1.

¡Ay, caramba!

1)  I have to have my backup sata drives removed to boot.
      SL7 tries to mount them as my 9750-4I raid controller
      and freezes up.  After booting up I can insert the
      eSata drive(s).  And do you think I would remember?
      In other words. I have top boot up twice.

2)  I can't print an envelope to my Oki B4350.  Paper
      size mismatch.  CUPS tells my printer that a #10
      envelope is a B5 piece of paper.  Overriding the prompt
      from my printer results in a ruined envelope.

3)  eth0 and eth1 got replaced with enp6so and enp7so,
      which wasn't entirely unexpected, but what a pain in
      the butt to re-write my scrips.

4)  Osmo just beeps at me and throws a

         /etc/gdm/Xsession: err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection
         section 0x7ba67ba0 "profile.c: PROFILE_CritSect" wait
         timed out in thread 0009, blocked by 0082, retrying
         (60 sec)

      So all my tasks in Osmo are useless.  Osmo just says
      they can not reproduce it.

What a disaster.  :'(

-T

At least VLC installed without issue!

Just wait until you get to firewall and systemd !!!!
But the learning battle is well worth it......

Hi Bill,

That one I thought of.  I modeled SL7 in a virtual
machine. It was no fun, but I pretty much got it figured
out.  I even figured out Wine32, which is up and
working.

The Sata / RAID problem and Osmo caught me totally by
surprise.  The envelope issue gobsmacked me.

The weird Ethernet adapter names I knew was coming as
I work with Fedora a lot.  Fedora is RHEL before it
is time.

I guess you can't think of everything.

-T