I disagree. See, what i'm not getting is how is it impossible to tell good
stories from kirk's younger days and not please old and new fans? As I said,
the characters in this movie are likeable. The Federation had major conflicts
with the Klingons back then: they could have detailed a battle with them.
Kirk's dad could have been shown being a hero--but living--and the story could
have taken place in the original timeline. We could have seen Kirk at the
Academy in the original timeline and still shown the Kobayasha test---no need
to change the timeline. Spock's battle with Logic and emotion was well detailed
in the OS--why is a timeline change needed to showcase that? (although his
overt feeling up of Uhura is completely wrong). The construction of the
Enterprise could have been shown in the original timeline. They could have
focused on a major event from Kirk's time serving on starships as a young
officer, and crafted an event there that would lead Starfleet Command to say
"let's give this young guy a ship of his own".

The Romulans, Klingons, Tholians, Andorians, Vulcans, Orions are just some of
the species they could have showcased. You know, the movies to this point have
all made changes, from the look of the Klingons, to the time travel angle of
"First contact", which had repurcussions showcased in "Enterprise". And we the
fans accepted those. I see no reason why Abrams and company could not have
worked within the framework of a forty-year franchise, told a story that was
basically true to that history, and given it some tweaks. the new ship, the
greater emphasis on action, the addition of a bit more humour--all could have
been done in an OS story that was faithful to that universe.

For example, they could have crafted a danger to Vulcan on the same scale, and
had Spock have to work with a young Kirk to save his planet. They could have
clashed over Logic vs. Kirk's cowboy attitude, but learned they have potential
to work together. McCoy and the others could have been brought in, maybe some
already on an Enterprise commanded by Pike. Maybe Kirk could have taken over
command of the Enterprise because Pike is injured or something. Don't know, but
I really do feel it's some combination of laziness and dismissal they didn't
try to stay in the OS.

I've looked at this from a million angles, and there are too many books,
comics, movies, and series that have tweaked the franchise in time. abrams
could have done the same, but I honestly feel he just didn't want to. The only
thing I can say to this is, if I were given control of the Star Wars franchise,
and rewrote its history to eliminate the silly aliens, the bad science, and
make it darker and more inteligent, how would fans react?