"Peace on Earth?"
Third Sunday in Lent
March 27, 2011
Romans 5:1-8

I’m thinking of setting up two pillars in my home, taking my cue from
the Old Testament reading, one I will call Massah and the other I will
call Meribah. This will make things a lot easier in our home. We won’t
have to worry anymore about arguments or fighting all around the
house. The new rule will be if you get annoyed with someone you go
over to one of the pillars and have your argument there. Then it will
all be left there.

In all seriousness, sometimes it seems like the home itself is a
monument to quarreling and contention. Everyone in the family can get
along just fine and be very pleasant in a social setting, but once
they get in the car or once they step inside their home the angry
words come flying out. Our homes are supposed to be a place of refuge,
a sanctuary from the outside world and all the contention and stress
that is rampant out there. Instead, our homes can too often become war
zones, battlefields where we are trying to gain the upper hand on our
own family members.

In the world we see things seem to spin out of control. Natural
disasters strike and often with a ferocity that seems to bring with it
the end times. Dictators never seem to lose their insatiable desire
for control and power and an iron fist over ordinary citizens. We
always hope our workplaces to be a source of pride and accomplishment
when they too often effect stress and weariness in us. The news never
lacks for stories because there’s always someone doing something
illegal, immoral, or just plain not very bright. We live in world that
has its share of anguish to match any enjoyment we have in it.

Things may be getting worse, we live in a fallen world, how can they
not but get worse? But have they really gotten much worse? The
Israelites had been enslaved under harsh conditions for hundreds of
years when God broke them free from their bonds. He brought them
through the waters of the Red Sea and those very same waters brought
to defeat their captors the Egyptians. God was bringing them through
the wilderness to the Promised Land, a land flowing with milk and
honey. No one there would be ruling them with an iron fist. Things
were pretty good for them now, they would all agree.

That is, until there were some bumps in the road. It seems that God’s
people the Israelites subscribed to the theology of What Have You Done
for Me Lately, God? Of course, running out of water in the desert is a
serious problem. But did they really forget so quickly everything God
had done for them, and not just what He did, but how He did it? He was
powerful, bringing to defeat the powerful Egyptians. But there in the
wilderness, far from the Egyptians, the Israelites contended against
God. Like little children who want what they want and when they want
it they rose up against God, questioning why He wasn’t helping them.

We’ve all probably known couples who had been married for many years
only to end in divorce. Sometimes this comes as a shock to us because
it’s a couple that everybody thought was so happily married. This is
devastating especially in contrast to those who seem to thrive in
making a wreck of their lives with multiple marriages and unstable
family settings. Was there a time when this kind of “family life”
wasn’t so common? Perhaps. Perhaps it was just covered up better.
Across the centuries people haven’t been immune to making a mess of
God’s blessed creation and instituting of marriage.

Jesus ran across one such woman in the Gospel reading. We aren’t told
why exactly this lady had been married five times, perhaps each of her
husbands died. But the thrust of Jesus’ exhortation to bring her
husband hints at a life that had been marred by much contention and
strife: you have had five husbands and the one you are now living with
you haven’t even bothered marrying.

Whether in far flung countries are in our own homes, there doesn’t
seem to be much peace in the world and in our lives. Where is the
promise given at the birth of the Savior? It was proclaimed loudly and
clearly by the angels: Peace on earth and goodwill toward men. Was
this just a nice thought? Was it just a promise that was to be
fulfilled at the end of time when Jesus comes again in glory? That
would certainly be an easy to explain it. But it would also leave us
with an explanation that is more like weaseling out of it. The fact is
the angels declared Peace on Earth at the birth of Jesus, not Peace on
Earth that this one who is born will be bringing after He lives and
ascends into heaven and then returns again in glory. Peace on earth at
the birth of Christ must mean Peace on Earth at the birth of Christ.

So if it’s true, then God must have a strange definition of Peace of
Earth. At least, it is very strange to our ears. God means what He
says, whether He’s speaking through angels, or the men He inspired to
write the Holy Scriptures, or simply speaking directly Himself; as He
does in the case of Jesus Christ, who is God in the flesh. And that is
the answer. There is peace on earth because God has come to earth. God
became a man. God entered into the world He created in the flesh. Yes,
there is a lot of conflict and war and contention and strife. But
there is also Peace on Earth. Wherever God is there is true and
ultimate Peace. Wherever Christ is, there is Peace. Jesus was present
there at that well where this woman was who lived a very
unpeaceful-like life. And yet, there she was, in the presence of Peace
on Earth.

Christ, amazingly, was even present there in that clash in the
wilderness in the Old Testament reading. Paul says in 1Corinthians
that the Israelites “drank from the spiritual Rock that followed them,
and the Rock was Christ.” (ESV) There in the midst of the wilderness
their thirst was not only quenched by the water flowing from that
rock, they also received peace flowing from Christ Himself.

In the Epistle reading today Paul says that “since we have been
justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus
Christ.” You may wonder exactly how you have this peace in your life.
You may think God must have a different definition of peace than you
do as you live day to day in your crazy hectic world and life. You may
wonder if God needs a reality check as you see your life filled with
all kinds of problems, stress, and strife, but certainly not peace.

And not only that, but where is Jesus anyway? Even if He was present
there in the wilderness with the Israelites and with that Samaritan
woman at the well, where is He in my life? How can I have this peace
of God when it doesn’t appear that Jesus is present in my life?

Well, it didn’t appear that He was present to the Israelites either.
Jesus didn’t appear to be God Almighty and the source of ultimate
peace to that woman who just came for a supply of water. But God is
very present. And He is very powerful. But He is also cloaked. He is
present with us in an undercover way. The way He gives you peace in
your life—and He does—is not by ripping you out of your home and your
workplace and your world and dumping you into some fantasy land where
there are no problems. The way He does it is by coming to you right
where you’re at, but in a hidden way. Not invisible, but hidden. Not
fantasy, real. But hidden.

He was present with the Israelites. And it was not the Israelites who
were struck down for their pathetic whining and insubordination
against God, but God Himself—Jesus Christ, the Rock—was struck so that
water and peace could flow forth. In the same way Jesus was struck by
the rod of God’s justice on the cross so that ultimate Peace on Earth
could flow forth as freely as the water and blood flowed from His side
when the soldier pierced it. And even as God Himself, in the Person of
Jesus Christ, was stopping to rest at a well because He was
weary—think about that, God Himself having to stop for a rest from
being weary—we are clued in on the purpose of this when John tells us
at what time this occurred. The sixth hour. The same hour that Christ
hung on the cross, wearied and burdened by the sins of the world.
Struck down by God Almighty; forsaken, and bearing the wrath of
holiness against ungodliness.

There is your Peace. It is in Christ, the one who was born in a lowly
stable and had to take a rest at a well in the hopes someone who would
come by to offer Him a drink of water and who finally stretched out
His arms so that they could be nailed to a cross. There is no true
peace apart from this.

And if you still think this doesn’t answer your question about how
this peace is real in your life, how Christ is present in your life,
how very strange it is that God says you have peace with God, how it
is a reality, that it is truer than anything can be, then God has you
covered here too, because He is thinking along the same lines. God
loves to give us peace. That means He loves to come to us. But He
comes in humble means. A rock. A baby. A Jew who needed some rest at a
well. A Savior who didn’t look very much like a Savior while His life
was coming to an end on a hill outside Jerusalem.

He does the same thing today, coming in humble means, hidden ways: God
in the very same Person of Jesus coming to earth in water and bread
and wine and words. Never underestimate God. Don’t see Him the way the
Israelites or the woman at the well did. When He comes to you in the
way He comes to you, rejoice in what you have. Christ Himself. Peace
on earth. Peace with God.

The water that flowed over you in your Baptism may as well have come
directly out of the Rock that was Christ or from His side as He hung
on the cross. Because Christ was present at your Baptism. He was in
fact in your Baptism, coming to you in that Sacrament, joining Himself
to you. The bread and wine that you eat and drink here at this Table,
which is His Table, may as well be given to you directly by His hand,
because He is the Lord of the Lord’s Supper we partake of. He is not
only our Host but also our Meal. We partake of Him. We eat His body
and drink His blood. We receive Christ into our mouth, we feast on God
Himself, in the flesh, joined by Him into Himself, there is no greater
peace than that.

Peace on earth is peace in your life in Jesus coming to you in the
flesh, even in the midst of everything that is the opposite of peace.
The cross was the most unlikely of places where you could find it.
That is the same as your Baptism and the Lord’s Supper. Peace on earth
at the cross and to you in His Sacraments. Amen.

SDG

--
Pastor Paul L. Willweber
Prince of Peace Lutheran Church [LCMS]

It is the spirit and genius of Lutheranism to be liberal in everything
except where the marks of the Church are concerned.
[Henry Hamann, On Being a Christian]
 'CAT 41 Sermons & Devotions' consists of works that are, unless
 otherwise noted, the copyrighted property of the various authors;
 posting of such gives members of this list implied consent for
 redistribution _with_attribution_ unless otherwise specified by
 the author (as long as no charge is made for the work and it is
 not made part of a compilation), as well as for quoting or use
 in a congregational setting _with_or_without_attribution_.

 Note: This list's default reply is to the *poster*, NOT the list.
 Do *not* reply to the list with your comments, but to the poster.

Subscribe?              Send ANY note to: sermons...@cat41.org