Tflan,

I thought the same thing when my daughter told me one of her teachers had
told them about this at school.  Then I saw this special, where they
demonstrated this happening.  I'm not sure exactly what combinations of
events has to take place to get the "super-heating" to happen, but I do
think it has a great deal to do with the container.  They demonstrated this
on the show and then stood back a couple feet and threw something in the
super-heated water to break the surface tension.  It may not have been an
explosion, but that's how I would describe it.  Not the kind that could
break the container, but the kind that caused the super-hot water to explode
out of the container and cover things with in a couple feet, as I recall.
They showed and interviewed a number of people that had heated water like
that for many years, as we all have, only to have one "explode", resulting
in 3rd degree burns on their faces, in their eyes, etc.  I was not a pretty
site when they showed what had happened to some people.  As I recall, the
"explosion" would happen when the surface tension was broken on the
super-heated water, like when a person would stick a spoon in their cup.  I
didn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes.

It was enough so that I don't heat water in the microwave without a wood
spoon, or something similar to break the surface tension.  As I recall,
there has to be something somewhat rough and or porous breaking the surface
to assure this doesn't happen.  Just thought I ought to warn folks that this
can happen.

Dan Neubecker
[EMAIL PROTECTED]