The diameter of the shaft was reduced  by approximately 7% which would reduce the frequency since the moment of inertia is dependent on the square of the materials distance from the center of the shaft. The paint is probably an epoxy. However reducing the mass alone would increase the frequency.

llhack
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, February 08, 2003 6:39 AM
Subject: Re: ShopTalk: A Stupid/confusing Experiment

Hi John,
There are no stupid experiments.  They all have some merit (I'm an experimentalist).  I think you are right, the paint has a very low modulus, most plastics are three orders of magnitude down from graphite, but the paint is at the very outside of the beam and that low modulus material may add more than you think to the stiffness of the shaft.  My guess, though, is that the slight reduction in frequency was mostly a consequence of the reduction in mass of the shaft.  It is not just the tip weight that controls frequency, but also the distributed weight of the shaft.  And it sounds like there was a lot of paint near the tip.  Regards.

Alan Brooks