From: tflan
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 4:20 PM
Subject: Re: ShopTalk: (Not Clubmaking) Golf Ball Question

Once again, this is a fascinating subject. I read some articles that reported on tests of different compression golf balls several years ago, when golf balls were identified but not quantified (oops! here comes that phrase again) by any standard measure regarding compression. One study was done by, as I recall, the physics lab at Ohio State University. The other by some testing group in Australia. The results were posted in Golf Digest and in another venue, the name of which escapes me now that I'm in my dotage.

Essentially, results of both tests showed conclusively that the higer compression ball travelled further in every case, than did lower compression balls. They tested 100, 90, and 80 compression balls with an "Iron Byron" type machine with the contact speed set at 109 mph. No ball was hit more than one time and, again as I recall, each test was conducted for a given compression ball 100 times - or thereabouts. Lower compression balls didn't go as far as medium compression, and mediums didn't go as far as high compression balls.

The testers then had actual golfers test the balls. The results were than low compression balls "felt" better and were much preferred over the higher compression balls. When the testees found what balls they like most in the blindfold test, they still stayed with their favorites, regardless.

The conclusion of the tester was that feel mattered more to most testees but that "advertising" and what the "pros" used was more important.

Funny thing is that today most every mfr is producing low compression high density covered balls. The Titelist Pro V1x is a low compression ball but its still the most popular on tour, regardless of temperature.

TFlan