You're correct, if you assume that the force applied to the ball is not changing.
There are many tour pros whose smash factors don't fit the equations - pundits will
say their clubs fail COR, but the data for many pros is similar to David D.'s.  The
equations don't work, and we know that they hit the ball on the center of the face.

Baseball and golf are very similar in this respect - the force applied to the club (or
bat) changes through the swing, and resulting ball speeds ARE different when clubhead
(or bat) speeds are equal.  It's not the same as the 'balls suspended by strings'
collision, or the 'billard ball' collision - the force applied to the club is changing
(increasing for a good player) as impact approaches.

Answer this:
If the impact velocity for 2 players is equal and 1 has accelerated from the top and
is coasting through impact while the other starts slowly and accererated through the
ball, which one hits it further????

Or....

If a moving car hits a stopped car at 35mph, will the collision be different if the
moving car is accelerating to 35mph, coasting at 35mph, or decelerating from a higher
speed??

Again, I'm prolly wasting my breath with the 'expert' here.

Pat K