In a message dated 10/21/2004 1:26:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

RK:
Having problem reaming a ping BuCe Copper Iron! Wanted to ream out taper hosel to Par.Tip and started working up with reamer but went from .350 to .370 and it started grapping the sides and almost stopping the Bit which was running at about 350 .
What am I doing wrong??Never had this problem with Stainless steel!
Thanks in advance
Harold Still

Hi,
Im not RK but I have reamed 1000's of bc heads in the last year and in the beginning I had a lot of problems with binding and even welding the reamer to the head even when using a cutting lubricant.
RK and others taught me that the key is slow feed.
What I now do is mount the head in a fixture and then use a . 368 drill on the 1st run and then follow up with a . 370 reamer and I do it dry with no cutting fluid.
Cutting fluid not only needs to be removed to get a good bond with the epoxy but a lot of it has a reaction with the bc and turns it black.
I just make sure to feed both real slow and it goes very fast.
The problem is when you try to feed too fast you basically melt the copper and it goops up clogs everything.
It's always smart to wear safety glasses and in the case of bc it's a good idea to wear respiration gear as well as it is toxic.
David