From: John Kaufman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Dec 7, 2004 7:48 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ShopTalk: Most stable plane of shaft oscillation

Hi Alan,

I didn't see any response to your question so I thought I'd give you my two
cents worth.

Finding these two planes has nothing whatsoever to do with their
"stabililty". I just so happens FLO will occur in these to planes so they
are easy to identify by the FLOing process. The reason many clubmakers,
myself included, try to align the weak plane in some orientation is to
minimize the shaft's rotation or twisting during the swing. If you bend a
shaft in anything other than it's weakest plane Mother Nature will try to
rotate that shaft into its weakest plane. That's what you see when you bend
a shaft in a spine finder. The problem becomes what plane is the shaft bent
in during the swing? Unfortunately the shaft rotates during the swing so who
knows whether the weakest plane is really being bent or not. Some rather
brief tests I ran with some rather bad shafts indicated to me that weak
plane at 3:00/9:00 or 9:00/3:00 (they're the same) worked best. The very
best solution however seems to me to be to just by shafts with very little
differential stiffness. A max variation of 1 cpm is not uncommon in some
name brand shafts. Aligning these shafts I think is a waste of time.

Cheers,
John K