Lloyd Hackman has a collection of pet rocks that all club builders would
envy. When the misbehave it takes one quarter of a second for them to
receive just punishment, a permanent trip to the garbage can.

Art

John directed us to. However it was the article following that one that
drew my attention "shaft Fitting". In this article Tom directs us to page
52 and 53 of his book. Having read his page 52 and 53 as he suggests to all
club makers, on the site we were directed to, he starts out by saying
"shaft fitting is one of the most confusing aspects of fitting to many
clubmakers." If he thinks any one could properly fit shafts the way he
describes it on page 52 and 53 no wonder he thinks they are confused, even
he obviously is confused. Shaft fitting is very simple if you know the time
between club release and ball impact. This time increment represents 1/4
cycle of the clubs natural frequency. His steps 2, 3 and 4 affect that
timing but can all be considered simultaneously if you know the timing
increment its self. The timing increment is dependent mostly on the time of
release in the swing. Of course FitChip!
>   ( www.fitchip.com) provides that specific timing increment without
visual misinterpretation or misinterpretation of how the shaft reacts to a
particular swing or all the many combination's of Tom's swing parameters.
Looking over Tom's shaft recommendations in Step 5, from my 10 years
experience in club fitting with FitChip, less then 30% of his
recommendation are close to being correct in this table. The key to fitting
is knowing the time when the club is loaded to its maximum load which is
followed by club release (the shaft starts to spring back). Tom refers to
release as unhinging of the wrist-cock. This in most cases is the loading
mechanism which is then followed by club release. Therefore If some one has
a late release as indicated by a rating of 3 they will have a later club
release and will need something in the stiff or extra stiff range. Tom
shows 7 out of nine cases of late release needing regular or soft shafts
(Wrong). The same inconsistency problem exists in !
>  his analysis of early release. He seems to be basing his shaft!
>   selecti
>
> on more on swing transition then any thing else. A strong transition many
times either leads to a double loading of the club or an early release
(soft Shaft) not reflected in his analysis. Not only his recommended
fitting method confusing but also very inaccurate.