That is sad news indeed and he surely will be missed. I had the good fortune to meet him in '99 at the PGA show in Orlando and began to see first hand his love of the game and his love of clubmaking. I learned a lot from him then and through his shoptalk postings over the last 6 or 7 years I've been on this forum.
This is the second time a "virtual" colleague of mine has passed away.  It's a
weird feeling.  I'm sure for many of us if we lived in Al's area that we'd be attending
his funeral in person instead of expressing our thoughts online.

My condolences to his family.

Jen