From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Burgess Howell
Sent: Saturday, May 06, 2006 5:19 PM
To: ShopTalk@mail.msen.com
Subject: Re: ShopTalk: Tips for out to in swing

At 03:51 PM 5/6/2006, Jen wrote:

>I've been fighting an out to in swing path...

This is absolutely my bogeyman.  If anything is going to screw up my swing,
it's the old 'over the top' move.

My drill is pretty simple.  First, I force myself to start the takeaway by
*pushing* with the left shoulder (assuming you're a righty). Then, I make a
normal turn, and, from the top, my first move is to drop my right elbow
straight down.  From there it's damned near impossible to take it
outside-in.

My dad calls this 'ringing the bell' (like pulling the rope on a church
bell), but my swing thought is "put the elbow in the hip pocket."

BTW, Sam Snead's 'waltzing' trick will help this, too.  Hum 'The Blue
Danube" and swing in time to it.  It helps you slow down your takeaway,
make a full turn, and swing in rhythm.  Over the top swings seem highly
correlated with a rushed tempo.

Good luck in smiting the beast.

Burgess