Title: Backweighting

I think back weighting is all about feel.  I haven’t tried it on anything other than a putter, but for me, 75 gms in the grip end of my putter (Rife 2 Bar, Mallet) provides great feel – the extra weight seems to really stabilize my hands.  Especially noticeable on short putts.

I haven’t done a scientific before-after test, but the after test sure feels better and I feel more confident.  A by-product worth noting – the grip weight also allows me to use the heavier two bar weights and still maintain a reasonable swingweight.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2006 5:28 PM
To: shoptalk@mail.msen.com
Subject: ShopTalk: Backweighting

George has been a shoptalker for some time and asked me to pass this along. He receives the digest version so he can't post/reply directly but is interested in hearing from you all.

John

shoptalk

Read in their latest publication that several of Golfsmith's professional R&D staff use backweighted clubs in their bags.  The clubs included irons, hybrids, and woods and involved as much as 30 grams of backweighting per club.

I have read in the past that several noted golfers, including Jack Nicholas, used backweighted clubs but have never really understood why.  When I tried backweighting my putter with only 18 grams of weight it became so heavy that I lost most of the feel in the club.

So I could use some education here.  Why use backweighted clubs?  What does it contribute?  How much backweighting is enough?  And is this all by trial and error, or are there basic principles involved that set some guidelines?

Will be interested in your responses.

Regards,

George Houchens