What's difficult to do in the models is to accurately model all of the possible variations in muscle contraction that are possible. Most of the force/torque models in the physics models are relatively simple (constant, triangular, square, sloped, etc.). Whereas we humans can apply a very complex force/torque history to the club. In a sense this defines 'feel'. What I think is unresolved is how much difference it makes to use a simple model instead of a complex one. It may feel different to two golfers, but still produce basically the same club motion. If the club motion is different is this due to the differences resulting from feel or is it simply that 'feel' is so nebulous that it is impossible to define? It is very possible (likely, in fact) that a club swung by two golfers instrumented to prove that the club has been swung exactly the same by both golfers will feel entirely different to those two golfers. Ah, the joys of human testing.

Alan Brooks

At 11:10 AM 8/15/2006 -0700, you wrote:

--- Dave Tutelman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What is your belief based on? I'm not baiting you,
> I'd simply like to know.
> :-)

Fair enough.  It's just a gut feeling.  I guess it's
based on the fact that even among good golfers, a
specification or feature that helps or is liked by one
golfer, hurts or is disliked by another.  The human
element seems to play such a huge role that attempts
to reduce it to science seem to me to come up short.
In other words, it seems there is as much art as
science involved.

Like backweighting.  You say, I assume correctly, that
current physics models don't show much affect from
backweighting.  Yet some golfers love it.

Thanks for your concise explanation of the models.
That helps.

-Don M