At 03:16 AM 3/3/2008, Paul Glazier wrote:
I recently got my copy of Sean Fister's new book on long drive. There was some information contained in the 'Equipment' section that I found quite interesting. Sean states that the shaft frequencies of his 2005 WLDC winning drivers were 250 cpm and 251 cpm and that 'they're so stiff that the average guy couldn't even get them airborne' (p.127). However, in Jeff Summitt's manual 'The Modern Guide to Shaft Fitting', a 250 cpm shaft comes out at little more than an A-flex or R-flex.

As you know, Jeff's ratings are based on a driver length of 43".

My question is: Why are long drive shafts rated so highly (XX, XXX, etc.) when their frequencies are so low? Is it because when these shafts are trimmed to the length of a normal driver they would be rated as XX, XXX, etc.? If so, how does shaft frequency change when you butt trim and/or tip trim? Is there a ball-park figure of cpm increase per inch of tip/butt trim?

There are indeed ball-park figures. Specific models of shaft will depart from those figures, but FWIW...

The butt-trim sensitivity of a "typical" shaft (whatever that is) is about 8-10cpm per inch. That means that if you took Fister's 48" driver and trimmed it to 43" from the butt, the frequency would probably go up 40-50cpm. That puts it at 290-300cpm. Since Jeff's ratings have 278cpm at X-flex, this is indeed XX or XXX.

As for tip trim, that is much more variable, but the sensitivity is always higher than the sensitivity for butt-trim for that particular shaft. The NET sensitivity, tip-trim minus butt-trim, is what clubfitters use to trim for flex.

Hope this helps,
DaveT