For anyone as intrigued as I was by Harry's suggestion of a USB Flash drive...

The 128GB Kingston Data Traveler seems to be going on eBay for roughly $50 (even less if you're willing to wait for delivery from China). I strongly suspect it is not a Kingston product at all, but a Chinese knockoff -- but that is how it is advertised.

I figured at that price I could order one and see if it is as effective as my hard drive backup. It is big enough to back up everything I have, including all the install disks. (I'll keep a copy of the OS install on DVD somewhere remote from my computer. I doubt I can do anything with a Flash copy of that.)

Thanks for the idea, Harry.

DaveT

PS - Harry, the tape scraper you described is exactly the one I mentioned.