"Toy Compressors?" Sure. But mine has lasted for years. I do have a "real"
compressor   but sometimes I use the "toy" just out of boredom. Besides,
the cheap ones are crap. I agree. Mine is a significantly larger (with
built-in pressure gauge) than the little put-puts some folks buy. I've used
it to put air in my car tires, blowing up pool floats, a big medicine ball,
as well as grip removal. I like it simply because it pumps pulses of air
rather than a steady stream (yeah, I know, I can pulse my compressor too,
but that's not the point.) .

The point is, for a hobbyist who doesn't have the need, room, money or
desire to buy a real compressor, a good inflator like mine is good enough.
What's the term - to each his own?

TFlan