On Tuesday 25 Nov 2008 3:21:24 am Charles Haynes wrote:
> > The virtues of not being overly materialistic, and overly greedy are both
> > actively taught in Brahminical Hinduism ... It is not at all
> > clear to me that such things are actively taught as part of family
> > culture among non Brahmins in India.  Perhaps it is, but I suspect that
> > it is not
>
> Those are also traditional Buddhist values, is Buddhism taught
> differently in Indian Buddhist families?

After I wrote that it occurred to me that those are also Gandhian values. A
lot of people I know (and whom I "mingle with" online nowadays) tend to be
derisive of Gandhi for various reasons, but I believe that is a mistake. He
had a profound effect on India - although that statement is a bit of an
anticlimactic cliche of an understatement.

Gandhi was born into a famnily of Banias - who are a "Vysya" business
community - one of the two Indian "forward caste" communities (apart from
Brahmins) who are regularly singled out for bashing. It may well have been
the Gandhi-Nehru aliance that has been described as the Brahmin-Bania nexus.

This is what Google thrown up on "Brahmin-Bania" nexus - an expression that is
used to smear the entire community for a particular political end.

http://www.google.com/search?q=brahmin+bania+nexus&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

The difference between Brahminism and Buddhism (AFAICT) is the focus on ritual
in Brahminism, and the relegation of renouncement to a later stage in life
because duty demands certain obligations in earlier phases of life.

shiv