What do you know, Wikipedia has it all. And its not just tamils, the Japanese
and Cambodians have similar traditions (no doubt borrowed from south india when
bodhidhamma went into japan, and the chola and pallava kings were ruling most
of south east asia)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/108_(number)#In_Eastern_religions_.26_traditions