On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 6:25 AM, Aditya Kapil <blue...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 7:44 PM, Thaths <tha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> As with any such photography question.... what is your intent? Will
>> you be shooting indoors/outdoors? People or landscapes? Can you carry
>> around a lot of gear? Etc.
> Mostly outdoors. Am willing to carry gear on such occasions. Intent: to
> learn photography more.

I advice waiting till next week before you make a conclusion. The PMA
trade show is happening this week in Las Vegas and there might be
announcements about new product lines made there.

My recommendations:

* Buy a camera body that is cheap and does most of what you want. If
you really get into photography you will likely upgrade your camera
body in a couple of years anyway. Think of a camera body as a
light-tight black box with a few capabilities. At the cheaper end of
the spectrum you will get a sensor that has a 1.5 crop factor (i.e., a
35mm lens will act as a 35*1.5 = 52.5mm lens).

* I strongly recommend a non-zoom lens such as 50mm f/1.8 (or the more
expensive 35mm f/2). Learning photography with a fixed focal length
lens enables you to be more deliberate about visualizing the image you
want and taking steps (changing aperture / shutter speed, moving
closer to farther away from the subject, shooting from low down or
high up, etc.) to achieve the look you want. The 50mm lens sells for ~
$100 is one of the most widely used lenses.

* A vast majority of DSLR owners shoot in completely automatic mode.
IMO, this is a waste of the capabilities of the DSLR and $$. If you
find yourself shooting mostly in auto mode, you may get better value
for your money with a higher end point and shoot than with a DSLR.
Learn the basics of shutter speed, aperture, depth of focus, etc. and
start shooting in Aperture or Shutter priority mode. Graduate into
fully manual mode later.

* Gradually start building a good collection of lenses. Do not skimp
on lenses. If you choose your lenses wisely, they will be around for a
couple of decades.

* If you are going to shoot landscape, invest in a good, stable tripod
and head. Since you are going to be photographing outdoors, you
probably can wait on buying an external flash.

* Read some good books on photography. I highly recommend 'Learning to
see creatively' (http://www.amazon.com/dp/0817441816).

* Take lots and lots of photographs. Learn how to process them. Cull
>95% of what you shoot and learn from the process.

* You will end up spending more than you budgeted. Your camera gear
will always be incomplete.

Thaths
--
   "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel." -- Homer J. Simpson