On 9/24/2011 5:19 PM, David AuBuchon wrote:
1. So in EIS, Ag+ combines with OH- and gets AgOH. Some of this turns into Ag2O. Then some of both of these may get stuck together and form particles. Some free Ag+ and OH- also exist. Yes?
Depends on concentration. Each of them have a solubility of about 13 ppm, so up to around 26 ppm of ionic, they will both be completely dissolved. If the concentration exceeds that then they do indeed clump together to some extent, and precipitate out of solution.

2.  When we say that AgOH or Ag2O is "dissolved" does that mean:
a) they are disassociated into ions most of the time. They occasionally recombine but quickly separate again. b) They are still in compounds, and occasionally disassociate into ions for a short time, then quickly tend to recombine.
c) none of the above.

If they are in solution, then they will be ions.

3. When we measure conductivity of EIS, since AgOH, Ag2O, and particles of the former do not contribute, this is an actual indication of free silver ions, right?
Conductivity will be a measure of free ions. Silver ions will be approximately half of the conductivity. The OH and O-- ions will be the other half.

4. If we took silverchloride and just dissolved it in water and kept it under a reasonable PPM, how would this be any different than what we are making by electrolysis?
It would have a chloride ion, and be quite stable. For instance if you add H2O2 to ionic silver, it reacts producing particles, but there is no reaction with silver chloride.

Marshall

Sorry if I have asked these several times already, but my Lyme brain is not the best.

~David